Wednesday 3 August 2011

Holberg Suite, Opus 40: Praeludium

~*~*~*~*~*~
Tonight I played a game of "Name That Musical Excerpt" with my computer. It's not as easy as "Name That Movie" or "Name That Book" since I can't search Google for notation, pitch, or rhythms like I can search for words or quotes.  Silly me.

Nevertheless, I tried everything to identify the little excerpt that had been stuck in my mind (all day!). 

First I tried singing to the search bar: 

Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdah Bum-buhdahBum-buhdah:

DAHHHHHHH, dahhhhhhhh, daaaaahh duh (dahhh dooo)
dah dah daaaaaaaah daaaaaaah daaaaaaaaah duh (daaaaaah doo).

....

Fail. 

...

Then I searched for "famous orchestral pieces". Stravinsky's Rite of Spring popped up first.
....Erm...no....not exactly. At all. Nope.
"Really beautiful orchestral openings" didn't help much either.
Or,
"Opening rhythm consisting of Run-Pon-y Run-Pon-y."

...

Fail again.

...
My next search was for all the works composed by Gustav Holst.

Closer, but not quite.

...

And then I called my sister.

Me: "A.! Who composed this piece?" (repeat above Bum-buhdahs.)
A: "Ohhhhh...It sounds like----"*cshhhhhczzzzshhhhhhczzssshhh* (curse you, Finicky Connection!)
Me: "Like what??"
A: "You know, that piece by----"*cshhhhhczzzzshhhhhhczzssshhh*

Noooooooo.

Luckily, we still had the chat system.  (Curse and bless you, Computer-Technology.)

My sister suggested I try "Grieg", and she was right.

The "Praeludium" from the Holberg Suite, Opus 40. 

~*~*~*~*~*~

Here are three different recordings:
the Piano version (original?),
the orchestral version,
and....saxaphones?!

It's fun to hear how the different combinations of instruments create
a unique mood for each rendition.

Enjoy!


...


 ...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment